Tuesday 22 March 2011

Time to REFLECT...A lot has happened in the past 2 days

WOW! Its been a crazy 48 hours, my ideas have changed, moved on and I finally feel that my project has a point to it which I'm really happy about!

To start of this blog post I would like the present the finish of my 3D illustrated idiom 'A Chip of the Old Block' which I was again very happy at the final outcome.


Although it looks aesthetically good and i'm pleased with the outcome, I do feel like its just a very obvious literal idiom and thats it, nothing else to it. I realised I really need a point to my project!

So I brainstormed with my tutor and a few of my peers in a 'mini crit' session. It started by asking myself, why did I pick Idioms as a topic and what interests me about them? I soon answered my own question, I was creating literal idioms because I found out through earlier research that people don't take notice of what they're actually saying; especially when using idioms! So I wanted to create idioms to show what people were really saying.

The first idea I came up with, that I was close to settling on was to...create 3/4 literal idioms, this means actually making them not just a photoshopped image. Wait, the twist is that one of them would be fake; a made up idiom with a made up meaning behind it. Then the idioms that i make including the fake one would be displayed at the exhibition. The viewers would then look at the piece and establish and recognise the real idioms but then take a second look at the fake one trying to work out what it is. This would then make them realise how stupid and absurd idioms really are. They then may think more about what they say in the future. 
Although this idea was a tiny bit ambitious and stupid as making up my own idiom would be hard enough then having people question what I have made and try and guess a made up idiom they never heard of. I ran into a dead end...

BUT WAIT

Today I came in trying to back up my previous idea but I knew it wasn't going to work, and with a little help from one of my tutors I soon came up with my new idea.
Using the example I made of 'A Chip of the Old Block' the finished product was to obvious and to literal, I needed to make people think about idioms and the piece and work it out instead of the idiom being handed on a plate to them. I needed to make a kind of 'cross word clue' almost so people could know it is an idiom by looking at it but still have to work out exactly what it is. 
Before I had the word 'BLOCK' in my chip of the old block, but now I will replace it with the word 'IDIOM', this will tell the viewer its a literal idiom so now work it out. The piece still kind of has the point of asking, work out what your really saying but now I'm more trying to communicate my idiom and have the viewer work it out. This may seem very badly worded but it will become obvious in my sketchbook.

The idioms that I'm creating for this have a small theme to them which is subtle but noticeable. The ideas have a running theme that they are first of all;
  • 3D Illustrated idioms using typography within the piece

and...
  •  The idioms will be made out of similar materials, at the moment the materials that I'm using are all coming from a builders workshop; cement, rope and nails. This may change though.
Also the idioms that I create will have to be a similar size, and also I will need to look at if the colours of the 3D idioms work together. This will all begin when I have my solid 3/4 ideas. At the moment I think a set of 3 literal idioms would be better than 4.

Time to go back to the sketchbook and generate my ideas so I can start making.  

TIME IS RUNNING OUT BUT I'VE FINALLY DECIDED ON MY FINAL IDEA :)

No comments:

Post a Comment