Sunday 27 March 2011

Final Piece is coming together

So over the weekend I have continued to create my final pieces which has been a little slow and I have encountered a couple of problems along the way.

To start of my 'chip of the old block' cement should definitely have dried by now so I will check that out in the workshop tomorrow which hopefully will go according to plan.

The next piece I began to start was my 'hit the nail on the head piece'. Which has been going all right. The block of wood I chose to use is a bit small and not very thick which I will write about in my evaluation. I have acknowledged this small mistake but I think my piece will still work anyway.


You can see from this angle that the wood (MDF) is not nearly thick enough to cope with the nails. I did actually use two sheets of MDF glued together but its still not thick enough. And because I used two sheets put together, the nails have gone though one layer and into the next making a small crack along the edge; it won't be noticeable when it is displayed but it shouldn't of happened. So from now on i'm using clamps when putting all the nails in so the wood vibrates less and causes no more cracking.


I finished putting in all the nails for the first layer which turned out perfectly, I think I only screwed up on one nail making it bent but you can't notice it. I used a grid system, marking it out with pencil first so they are all roughly in line. I will be using the same grid system for the second lot of nails which I have bought. They are first of all bigger but have extra large heads, this means I don't have to happen in as many nails! I think they're called 'clout nails' but I might be wrong. I will be back int he workshop tomorrow and hopefully finish this idiom.

AND FINALLY, for my third and final idiom update!

I have started to create my final idiom, 'Good money for old rope'. As I said in my last blog post, I spent ages looking for the perfect pieces of rope. I ended up with a big success, I went to my cricket club and borrowed a spare piece of the boundary rope - approx 18-20m long! The rope is old and used which is perfect because it fits in perfectly with the idiom. So today I did some experimenting with my ideas from my sketchbook which I make very clear. I then went to Homebase to buy my smaller rope, unfortunately when I got home and put it against my big rope it was just to small! VERY ANNOYING! So I will have to go back and find some thicker rope, the one I bought was 6mm; I need about 10-15mm rope. So this idiom has set me back a bit and I hope to buy the new rope tomorrow. Below is a rough experiment...




I also experimented with the 'Hangman's Noose' as I talked about in my sketchbook, worked out quite well and works well giving a kind of 'crossword clue' for the viewer to guess the idiom which I quite like. Although not completely sure about using it, I will have to ask my tutor and peers about what they think.

Over and out, 
back tomorrow PEACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment