Sunday 13 February 2011

Project Proposal


Final Major Project by Ralph Pedersen
Project Title- Idioms

The foundation course for me has opened my eyes to graphic design as a whole, the ideas you can create, the mediums you can use and the audience it is for. I feel like I have developed my understanding of graphic design massively and along with it developed my knowledge and skill base, by being able to create quick ideas and solutions to anything that’s thrown at me.

During my rotations I started off in Visual Communication and all I wanted to do was stay there. Every other area I experimented with different ways of working and medias but all my work ended up looking like a graphic student had produced it, for example in Fine Art I made a short animation;



I hadn't produced an animation before but it felt more 'graphicy' than doing a pointless painting, and I was very happy with the outcome. This pushed me further towards picking Vis Com. When we were in Vis Com we were again set a little project on the side which I found more successful than the work I produced during the rotation. The final outcome was a large montage of a skateboarder doing a trick over a ramp. The pictures were reproduced and drawn several times.


The proposed aim for my project is to research and investigate idioms; an idiom is an expression, word or phrase that has a figurative meaning that is comprehended in regard to a common use of that expression that is separate from the literal meaning or definition of the words in which it is made.
I intend to look at everything that is associated with idioms, why people use them, where they came from and the meanings behind them. I believe these are my three main starting points which I can develop on throughout the project; they are broad and have many different pathways and ideas leading out from them. I feel this is a good starting foundation for my project with plenty of direction.
I will begin by researching everything I can find out about idioms using primary and secondary resources. This should include; asking people about idioms, looking through books and researching on the internet. I plan to explore through a variety of methods and processes to produce outcomes within this project. I do not plan to stick to once method of outcome but numerous media involving; photography, illustration, typography, 3D and computer graphics. My main focus will be to experiment through the medium of photography but to incorporate other media within this to produce visual outcomes.

I plan to evaluate all my work not in my sketchbook but on my Blog, which I will use as my reflective journal. I will review and evaluate my work constantly on my Blog, explaining successes and negatives throughout, also including; decisions, ideas and feedback.







No comments:

Post a Comment